Wednesday, May 26, 2010

There and Back

I have now been home for a week. How crazy. I honestly can't believe it's over. I don't want to get all sentimental and corny--I knew it had to come to an end sometime, and honestly I was looking forward to coming home and seeing my friends and starting a new chapter of my life, but it's still sad, and I am starting to miss it!

My last day in Ireland consisted of going downtown to pick up a few things. I stopped at Arabica one last time for a dark mocha. I told Frank, the manager who is a younger Italian man that it was my last day in Ireland. So sad to have to say my goodbyes to him haha. I got back, went to the library for a bit to print some stuff off. On my way back to Plassey I ran in to my housemate Jimmy and said goodbye to him. I also luckily caught Gearoid on his way out. The rest of the day I packed mostly. I went to Liz's final dance recital with Amanda and Katie. It was really cool. Then I got back from that and said goodbye to Sean, Owen, and Val, who were going out for the night. Saying goodbye to Sean was really hard. Although it wasn't really goodbye because I ended up seeing them again later that night. I only got a little over an hour of sleep the night before I left. I hung out with Kathleen, cleaned the bathroom and the refrigerator. Then the guys got back and I talked to them for a bit. I went to bed for like an hour and before I knew it, it was 4 AM and time to get up. Sean and Owen were still awake and I said goodbye to them AGAIN haha.

We got to the Shannon Airport at about 6 AM. I was with Amanda and Lily. Amanda was on a different flight than Lily and I, so we had to say our goodbyes because Amanda's flight was later.
I slept quite a bit on the flight from Shannon to Newark. I started watching the movie Shutter Island starring Leonardo DiCaprio but I was tired and having a hard time following it--so switched to Leap Year...something mindless. I didn't want to watch it at first because I was like, I just left Ireland. I don't need to watch a movie about Ireland already, but gave in, mostly because it was in fact mindless. I ended up falling asleep during it haha.

Our flight from Newark to Minneapolis was slightly delayed and felt like it took forever even though it was way shorter than our one from Ireland, obviously. I was wearing my Northface sweatshirt and my rain boots because I hadn't wanted to pack those since they're heavy. I got a few funny looks because it was about 80 degrees and sunny!
It was so weird being back at first...when I got in the shuttle van to take me to Eau Claire I did a doubletake when the driver got in the driver's seat on the left side of the car. Also, when I saw traffic signs, it was weird to not see places with a Gaelic spelling next to the English one. And Wisconsin is pretty green, but it's just not the same.

It took about 4-5 days to get over the jet lag, but I am finally over it. I keep looking at the time and thinking of what time it is in Ireland, and it seems like such a huge time difference all of the sudden.

I went to my sister's bachelorette party, and that was a good time. I will be moving in to my new apartment in Eau Claire either Saturday or Tuesday. I am hopefully going to be ordering most of my pictures off Snapfish soon and perhaps starting the process of making a scrapbook. The idea seems daunting because I took soooooooo many pictures.

Well, this will probably be my last entry. Sad. I seriously can't believe I've been home a week already and that it's over. I was looking forward to it for so long, and it just absolutely flew by. It kind of feels like waking up from a dream. Haha-corny I know. One minute I'm in Ireland, and the next I'm not. It was definitely an experience of a lifetime and I'll never forget it!

Cheers! Hope to see you again someday soon, Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment